Developing code natively on the Raspberry Pi is not ideal for larger projects so I decided to explore cross compilation to attain better productivity. This post describes how I set up cross compilation using Ubuntu via Parallels 10 on OS X.


The next step in the Blue Block Challenge is getting the simple object detect code that I’ve already developed on the Mac, running on the Raspberry Pi using the PiCamera via its MMAL C interface.

Screen Shot 2014-10-17 at 7.54.39 PM

As part of the Blue Block Challenge I’m using the OpenCV library to detect and track objects based on their color only. In the process I created an Mac application to help develop the algorithms.

Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 3.22.55 PM

While visiting the mini maker faire last month at OMSI, I discovered a local robotics club called PARTS (Portland Area Robotics Society) and managed to attend their most recent meeting – which are all held on the first Saturday of each month. It was perfect timing too, for two reasons: First, the meeting dealt with […]


Now that the first version of NavBot is complete it is time to think about how to scale things up… and an 8 bit Atmel microcontroller is not the answer.

Screen Shot 2014-03-16 at 4.22.07 PM

First true working version of the NavBot.

I show how you can get the code up and running on your own mobile robot, configure and calibrate it for errors and create your own waypoint based path sequences for the Pilot to execute.

Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 11.32.23 PM

[This is a breakout post for NavBot: Version 1 where I show how to get the NavBot project to run on your own robot.] In a previous post I detailed some of the systematic errors typical for differential type robots and how to correct for them. In this post I’m simply going to show how […]


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.