Say Hello To My Little Friend – Zumo Part I

I really liked the look of Pololu’s Zumo Bot and ended up purchasing the kit a while back. I have some plans for this bot but I’ll write more on that in a future post. For now I thought I’d just document some aspects of the build.

The kit comes with the following:

1200_1401_IMG_2902

It is basically a compact track-based chassis that houses a motor for each track, 4 AA batteries and has a circuit board on top that effectively makes the chassis an Arduino shield. On the board is a motor controller, compass and an assortment of buttons and LEDS, a buzzer and an on/off switch.  It also has a convenient battery charger connection. It is primarily meant as a sumobot.

I decided to build mine using Pololu’s optical encoders. These are specially designed for Pololu’s extended shaft micro gear motors. I settled on the 100:1 Micro Metal Gearmotor HP (with Extended Motor Shaft).

Going with the encoders presented three fairly big problems:

First, they are tiny:

1200_1402_IMG_3094

Soldering them on to the motors and then soldering their 6 wires each was the hardest job to date I’ve undertaken with a soldering iron.

I had to hot-glue them on first otherwise there was no way I could solder and keep them straight. Even hot glueing them was tricky and it took a few attempts to get them level on the motor casing. After that soldering the motor leads was easy.

1200_1402_IMG_3097

The really hard part was soldering the wires.  Positioning them was a challenge:

1200_1402_IMG_3102

But the actual soldering was nerve-racking. I was convinced I’d ruin both devices before I was through but in the end it worked out fine:

1200_1402_IMG_3104

The next hurdle was routing the wiring from the motor housing to the Zumo shield on top. I ended up making small slits for the wire to come through on the underneath of the housing:

1200_1402_IMG_3116

Used a sharp tool to mark and the Dremel to make the cuts.

1200_1402_IMG_3126

Had already worked out that the wiring would easily be able to go from the under the chassis up to the shield, even with the sumo blade and the reflectance sensor array attached.

Also had to change the way the motor leads connect to the shield but that was simple enough:

1200_1402_IMG_3132

Also added female headers to the outer most pins of Zumo shield. A nice feature of the outer pins is that they are spaced out correctly for use with a perfboard, which I plan to use to create a mounting platform for other devices.

After that it was all plain sailing.

1200_1402_IMG_31501200_1402_IMG_31561200_1402_IMG_31551200_1402_IMG_31581200_1402_IMG_3157

One issue still remains with the encoders:

1200_1402_IMG_3164

As you can see from the image, the encoders (the rainbow ribbons) are not connected to anything. Unfortunately they only provide analog output so I still need to build a circuit to make the signals digital.  I’m hoping to use the back area of the shield to host the converter.

In the meantime I need to start on some coding. I purchased the reflectance sensor array so a simple line following bot will be a good starting point.

 

Read: Zumo – Part II

Update

Ended up not having to build a circuit for the encoders. For my setup the analog signals were good enough that they could be connect directly as digital inputs. So far I’ve not had any issues.

About these ads

One comment

Comments welcome

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

%d bloggers like this: